What’s Coming Up this May at GCAC
Improve Your Academic Writing and Speaking
Registration for GCAC Spring courses is NOW OPEN! Check out our course schedule and online registration links for GCAC May/June courses on the GCAC website. All current graduate students at U of T are eligible to sign up for our free non-credit courses.
This Spring, we’re offering the following courses:
- Thesis Writing in the Physical and Life Sciences
- Writing CIHR Proposals
- Writing NSERC Proposals
- Writing SSHRC Proposals
COURSES FOR NATIVE SPEAKERS OF ENGLISH
- Becoming a Better Editor of Your Own Work (Physical and Life Sciences)
- Oral Presentation Skills
COURSES FOR NON-NATIVE SPEAKERS OF ENGLISH
- Academic Conversation Skills
- Academic Writing 1: Focus on Essentials
- Academic Writing 2: Focus on Grammar
- Academic Writing 3: Focus on Style
- Oral Presentation Skills
We’re also offering free workshops that require no prior registration. Please visit our workshop page for a full description of our May/June offerings.
INFORMAL ACADEMIC COMMUNICATION (for Non-native Speakers of English)
- May 6: Email Etiquette
- May 13: Using Small Talk for Networking
WRITING IN GRADUATE SCHOOL (for graduate students in all disciplines)
- May 7: Writing Correctly (without Grammarly or Microsoft Word)
- May 14: Improving Flow in Academic Writing: Cohesion and Coherence
IMPROVING YOUR ORAL PRESENTATION SKILLS
- May 23: Developing Your Delivery Style
- May 30: Making an Effective Conference Presentation
- June 6: Using Story and Narrative to Communicate Your Research
Writing Centre Consultations
One-on-one consultations are available for graduate students who seek individualized assistance with their writing. In these 40-minute sessions, trained instructors work with you to improve your capacity to plan, write, and revise your academic assignments. While our instructors won’t edit for you, they will teach you strategies to revise and edit your own work. The appointments can be booked online two to three weeks in advance.
Keep up to date on everything we have to offer via the GCAC listserv (including weekly workshop reminders!). To subscribe, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (upper or lower case is acceptable). In the BODY of the message, type a command using the following form: subscribe gcac-l firstname lastname
You will then receive a “Command Confirmation Request” email. You must reply to that email with “ok” written in the body of the email. Doing so will complete the subscription process. Please note: If you have an automatic signature in your email, please remove it when sending and replying to email@example.com.
Back to Home