Writing courses and workshops with the GCAC
In May and June, the Graduate Centre for Academic Communication (GCAC) has scheduled a variety of courses and workshops on how to improve your academic writing and speaking skills. Registration for our May 2022 course session remains open, and the list of courses that still have spots available are listed below.
Please note: Courses are being offered both online, and in-person. In-person courses will not be recorded, so students should sign up for in-person courses only if they are able to attend in person on the St. George campus at the weekly time of the course. Synchronous and asynchronous workshops in May and June are also being offered, and the schedule is posted below.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE UPCOMING SESSION
- May 2022 GCAC all of our courses are offered online and some courses have additional in-person sections for students who want to attend in person on the St. George campus.
- Each course is 3-6 weeks long depending on the course, 2 hours per week. Demand is high so please check your schedule before registering to be sure you can attend all weeks of the course. If you don’t have time to commit to taking a full course, consider taking workshops instead.
- All sections of the same course, (ex. section 1 or section 2) cover the same material but are offered in different time slots and formats (either online or in-person).
- Students may take a maximum of two GCAC courses during the May 2022 session. Students who sign up for more than two courses will be automatically removed from the courses with the longest waiting lists.
May 2022 GCAC Courses
|Discipline-Specific Courses||Duration||Day and Time||Dates||Delivery||Instructor|
|Writing NSERC Proposals||3 weeks||Fridays, 10:00am – 12:00 pm ET||May 27 – June 10||Synchronous Online||Dr. Fiona Coll|
|Writing SSHRC Proposals||3 weeks||Thursdays, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm ET||May 26 – June 9||In-Person||Dr. Jane Freeman|
|Writing SSHRC Proposals||3 weeks||Mondays, 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET||May 30 – June 13||Synchronous Online||Dr. Jane Freeman|
|Writing CIHR Proposals||3 weeks||Mondays, 5:00 pm – 7:00pm ET||May 30 – June 13||Synchronous Online||Dr. Peter Sabatini|
|Courses for Non-Native|
Speakers of English
|Duration||Day and Time||Duration Dates||Delivery||Instructor|
|Academic Writing 1: Focus on Essentials||5 weeks||Thursdays, 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm ET||May 12 – June 19||Online||Elena Danilina|
|Academic Writing 1: Focus on Essentials||5 weeks||Tuesdays, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm ET||May 17 – June 14||In-Person||Dr. Adeiza Isiaka|
|Academic Writing 2: Focus on Grammar||5 weeks||Wednesdays, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm ET||May 11 – June 8||In-Person||Elena Danilina|
|Academic Writing 2: Focus on Grammar||5 weeks||Tuesdays, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm ET||May 17 – June 14||Synchronous Online||Michael Koslowski|
|Academic Writing 3: Focus on Style||5 weeks||Fridays, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm ET||May 13 – June 10||Synchronous Online||Dr. Adeiza Isiaka|
|Courses for Native|
Speakers of English
|Duration||Day and Time||Dates||Delivery||Instructor|
|Becoming a Better Editor of Your Own Work (All Divisions)||5 weeks||Wednesdays, 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET||May 11 – June 8||In-Person||Dr. Katherine Fry|
|Becoming a Better Editor of Your Own Work (All Divisions)||5 weeks||Tuesdays, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm ET||May 17 – June 14||Synchronous Online||Dr. Katherine Fry|
|Asynchronous Courses||Day and Time||Delivery||Instructor|
|OPS Modular – Modular Oral Presentation Skills Course||Asynchronous||Online||Dr. Jane Freeman|
Summer 2022 Workshop Schedule
Please visit the GCAC website for a full list of available workshops. We ask that you register in advance.
GCAC Writing Centre
The GCAC Writing Centre offers online individualized one-on-one synchronous writing support through appointments booked though our website. During these appointments, you’ll meet with a writing consultant, who will work with you using audio/video, chat, and a document-sharing whiteboard area. Full details on how to book an appointment are on our website.
- Up to date information about what’s on at GCAC can always be found on our website
- Keep on top of all GCAC news and announcements by following us on Twitter: @UofTGCAC
- Get weekly updates on all GCAC workshops and courses by subscribing to our listserv
As always – stay healthy, safe and positive!
Back to Home