Preparing for 2021 income tax season?

Ufile for students + tax clinics

Did you know that, as a member of the Canadian Federation of Students, the UTSU offers free access to Ufile for students to fill out their tax returns (look for “students file free”)? To be eligible for this special offer, the student must be a resident of Canada, have tuition fees and have attended school for at least one month during the tax year being prepared.

UTSU Tax clinics are held in partnership with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) who provides training for volunteers under the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP). This free service is reliant on volunteer participation, provides free support to help students file taxes, and runs for approx. six weeks. The appointment booking portal (only open during tax season) opens mid-March and students can book appointments up to seven days in advance by registering online at Learn more.

The Canada Revenue Agency also provides especially tailored tax information for students. As well, you may be able to get help at the CRA’s Community clinics for low-income individuals with simple tax returns. Find free community tax clinics in your area

Online 2021 T2202 and T4A tax receipts: Ready to view and print

The T2202 forms are tuition and education receipts issued for income tax purposes to all students who paid tuition in the previous calendar year. The forms are now available for viewing/printing on ACORN. Forms are not mailed out to students.

In addition to being available on ACORN, T4A’s will be mailed by Canada Post to your ACORN mailing address.  Note that students who receive stipendiary support from their supervisors’ research grants will receive a separate T4A from the University’s payroll system. Be sure to report the income from both T4A’s.

Remember, you must record your Social Insurance Number (SIN) on ACORN so it can be included on your Form T2202 and T4A. For those who don’t, there may be a $100 penalty to you and the University from the Canada Revenue Agency.  For more information visit the Student Accounts Website.

Back to Home