Institute for Pandemics Soft Skills Training for Graduate Students: Networking skills and exploring careers outside academia

The Institute for Pandemics (IfP) invites University of Toronto graduate students for a special soft skills workshop to further develop their networking skills and meet representatives from non-academic organizations to learn about and discuss career options in their sectors.

March 19, 5-7 pm
Learn more and register

About the workshop

Establishing genuine connections in both your personal and professional circles is a crucial asset during your job search journey. Research indicates that a mere 20 per cent of job positions are filled through external hiring, leaving a substantial 80 per cent unadvertised externally, often being occupied through network connections. Consequently, networking should hold a pivotal role in your job search strategy, complementing your resume, cover letter, and skill enhancement efforts.

Networking empowers you to approach informational interviews with curiosity and opens doors to a diverse array of job opportunities that may not be publicly posted. This process not only expands your professional horizons but also provides valuable insights into your own strengths and how you fit into the broader professional landscape.

In this session, we will explore the tangible benefits of networking, including access to valuable insights and job opportunities.

Following the networking presentation, attendees will have an opportunity to practice their networking skills by meeting with representatives from invited non-academic organizations to learn about the careers opportunities that exist within their sectors.

Invited sectors include

  • Pharmaceutical
  • Biotech
  • Consulting
  • Government

Key learning outcomes

Participants will leave the workshop with:

  • A foundational understanding of networking principles, including key concepts, strategies, and best practices, enabling them to effectively initiate and sustain professional connections.
  • Practical networking skills, such as crafting an elevator pitch, active listening, and effective communication for various networking scenarios.
  • Knowledge of how to strategically build and maintain a strong online presence through platforms like LinkedIn to help showcase skills, achievements, and aspirations.
  • An understanding of career options available to master’s and PhD graduate in a variety of sectors.

Back to Home